billroper: (Default)
[personal profile] billroper
After last night's thunderstorms and thunderstorms that rolled through the area earlier today, a lot of local fireworks displays were canceled -- except for the freelancers who have been firing things off for much of the evening.

We had originally planned to grill sausages with Jeff and Carol, who are in town for a visit. The weather made that look problematic, so we cooked them on the stove instead, which was *just* fine. A lot of good conversation was had.

After Jeff and Carol headed back to their hotel room, Gretchen said that she wanted to watch the taped "A Capitol Fourth", which seemed fair, but the Cardinals / Cubs game tonight was on Fox and had finally started after a one-hour rain delay. I got to my chair first and switched on the game before Gretchen got there. The game got to the end of the third inning and so did Gretchen, at which point I offered to put on "A Capitol Fourth". She initially declined, I argued, and we fired up the recording.

While that was going on, I was following the game on my phone and noticed that there was a new "weather delay". Huh? I checked and found that the game was being delayed by *fog*. That's pretty unusual, so I asked permission to interrupt the recording and go check out this mess, which Gretchen agreed was interesting.

After about 18 minutes, the game resumed, and Gretchen fell asleep. I took advantage of this to watch the rest of the game, after which we watched the remaining half-hour of "A Capitol Fourth", and all was right with the world.

Except the dogs *hate* the fireworks. Or else want to go out and bark at them and invite them in to play.

I'm not sure.

Date: 2026-07-05 02:29 pm (UTC)
gorgeousgary: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gorgeousgary
As a recording engineer/sound guy were you as amused by (while also perhaps wincing at) the "can we get Christina Koch a working mic" as I was?

(It looked like she totally took it in stride which I'd expect from an astronaut trained to remain calm while dealing with much more significant disasters than a bad mic.)

We were too tired and lazy to venture out for fireworks even though there's a community center about 10 minutes from us that's up on a hill and a reasonable spot for watching the local fireworks. We watched the Macy's NYC show live on NBC.

We watched A Capitol Fourth on Friday. Decent show this year even if I was somewhat bemused that Chicago and Kool and the Gang each only have one original member actively performing with them. I guess bands can be a Ship of Theseus too...

Date: 2026-07-05 09:40 pm (UTC)
sraun: portrait (Default)
From: [personal profile] sraun
Have you run across the concept of baking sausages? 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until 165 degrees internal temp, flip halfway through.

I don't grill, this has become my default method of cooking sausages.

Profile

billroper: (Default)
billroper

October 2026

S M T W T F S
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 12th, 2026 02:06 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios